Good writing, good story and the "likes" of things

Published stories; Favorite authors?

Good writing, good story and the "likes" of things

Postby deleted_user » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:51 am

Newbie here and that's as a member of our community and as a writer well maybe as a writer of erotica. I've read at least 30 stories here since joining, provide comments to several and a "Thumbs up" to most.
I posted the first part of my erotic romance story, saw that italics didn't paste over, so I edited it and resubmitted along with the next two parts. Before I edited it, it had received 127 views and 1 thumbs up. My question, are those good results? I don't know. Of course as a new writer of erotica, I look forward to any and all comments, yet I understand that a comment is probably the last thing I'll receive, mainly, because I'm new.

It might not be the smartest thing to do but it's natural that I compare my stories to stories that I liked. Now, that brings in comparing my writing to those who have more experience and could well have published erotic stories. Hence my concern that I don't know how, if any good my story is.

Some advice that I was given by a lady that suggested I write erotica, was; Erotic fiction is like all other fiction. It needs a plot, story, good characters that develop and that sex is the main plot/story driver.

I haven't found a way to send a message to any members or how to edit a post in the forum.
deleted_user

Re: Good writing, good story and the "likes" of things

Postby Tristan LeMay » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:38 pm

Hi,

1. You can't edit a post in the forum. You can't delete them either. Only arti has that power.

2. That lady who gave you advice is absolutely right.

3. Many of the views are just clicks on your story. It unfortunately doesn't mean that the member or visitor read your whole story. That is often the reason why you don't get a 'thumbs up' or a 'thumbs down' or a comment because the person can't really judge if they only read a few lines. A lto of people have a very short attention spam and don't like spending hours reading on the computer. Others love it, thank goodness! Hehe! As for good or bad results, you should also know that even when people love your stories, they won't necessarily take the time to click on Thumbs up or to write a comment. That is very much like YouTube and so many other sites. Don't take it personally and don't obsess with likes, don't likes, comments, and views. That would be my advice.

4. As far as reading stories by other authors and comparing yourself to stories you like, hello? That's just natural et totally constructive. The more you read, the more you learn. The more you write, the better you get. Common sense.

5. You can send private messages through the forum using User Control Panel (see where it says 0 new messages?).

There was a lot of stuff in your post. Don't know if I answered everything and it's not really my job but I hope I helped.

Tristan LeMay, author
Tristan LeMay

Postby deleted_user » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:08 pm

Tristan;

Thanks for your response and you did great answering my questions. Similar to other writing sites, it takes time and effort to produced results. The reality is my story lies somewhere in between as great as I hope and as bad as I think.

I did add a small part to the collective story. Again, thanks for your time and reply.
deleted_user

Postby deleted_user » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:44 pm

Thoughts about my story as it gets posted. My first thumbs down today...Wish that person had left a comment as to why they gave it that. I can't improve as a writer with knowing what I'm doing that a reader didn't like. It might have been something correctable, my style of writing, my plot and or story arc. Now I don't know and that's frustrating. Yes, the opposite is true, I and so do all writers , knowing what their readers like. Wouldn't want to throw the baby out with the dirty bath water.
deleted_user

Postby trailmate » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:49 pm

I remember giving a thumbs down on at least one of your stories. For my taste, they all lack one thing - a framework of reality. To see more specifically what I mean, read my post "Look Around You."

Can you imagine watching a movie in which you see people against a completely white background? Right, just people and dialogue. Without establishing some element of realism that tricks the reader's brain into wanting to believe he/she is reading a true story, the story is like seducing an inflatable puppet and just about as erotic. Life includes seasons, weather, coffee shops, messy apartments, classrooms, constructions sites, farms, banks, etc., etc., and at least some need names.

On the up side, the care you take with the English language is fine and the dialogue itself is realistic enough.
trailmate

Return to Art of Writing