A tip for formatting stories on Noveltrove

Published stories; Favorite authors?

A tip for formatting stories on Noveltrove

Postby Sarkopheros » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:46 pm

I honestly don't know what forum this should go in, so for now, I'm posting it in the writing forum.

Anyway, Noveltrove (NT) doesn't copy formatting when you copy and paste from Word. If you're like me, you write almost exclusively in word and make frequent use of italics. So how do we get around this more easily?

Well, you can get Word to highlight words in a certain format.

First, go to the Find tab in the upper right of the Home tab in Word.

Click "Advanced Find". Then click "More>>"

Now go to "Format" then "Font"

Under "Font style" click "italic"

Hit OK. Under the find window, click "Reading highlight" and click "highlight all"

Now all your italicized text is highlighted.

Now you can open this window in one half of the screen and NT in the other and you can easily see where you have to correct it.

And if you have a gaming keyboard, you can bind a macro key to "Left-click+Left-click+ctrl+i" which will highlight the current word and italicize it whenever you press the key if your mouse is hovering over it.

I hope this helps someone.
Sarkopheros

Re: A tip for formatting stories on Noveltrove

Postby arti » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:52 pm

Hey Sarkopheros,

thank you very much for this detailed tutorial, I'm sure that it will be helpful to other users! I will pin it, so that it stays on top!

Cheers,
Arti
arti

Postby Sarkopheros » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:36 am

Oh, cool, that's flattering. I hope it does indeed help someone!
Sarkopheros

Postby Smokey126 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:17 pm

Well, how cool. I actually use this EXACT same trick in re-formatting my works in the NT submission field. Then again, as popular as Windows and Office are, I'm sure most of us use Word, and if others haven't come across this trick yet, I don't doubt how helpful it will be to them. By the way, Ctrl+H brings the Find & Replace box right up too. Thanks for sharing this!
Little footnote, by the way: up until November '16, the site DID actually keep your bold and italics when you pasted it into the submission field. Why it didn't keep doing so after that, I can't say. But yeah—if your stories are long like mine and you don’t want to make all those changes, another option is that you can e-mail it to Arti and ask him to post it as is. Cheers, folks! —Smoke
Smokey126

Return to Art of Writing